Skip to main content

Easter... Again

Oops! Enjoy (or not) this overly-ripened entry from Easter that I forgot to post. (At least I remembered to throw out the hard-boiled eggs. I think...)




I have good news: They didn't lose Elizabeth! Yay!

She had a really nice time at Zoo Camp, except for the first day when it was really hot. When I picked her up, she fell into the car, her cheeks red, and said in an exhausted voice, "We walked everywhere."

"What about those moving sidewalk/escalator things? Did you you ride any of those?"

"No. We walked everywhere."

Lizzy is more of a sprinter, if you know what I mean. She's good in short bursts, but tends to peter out over long distances. However, a medicinal dose of chocolate frozen yogurt perked her right up, and the weather became more tolerable the rest of the week.

By Monday Elizabeth was rejuvenated. Not only had Zoo Camp proven successful, but the weekend was a blur of chaotic Easter goodness -- which, of course, left me exhausted. I think that's a general rule - the relationship to kid bliss varies inversely with the resulting parents' energy levels, or stated more simply: Happy Kid = Exhausted Parent. Here's a snapshot of the weekend:

  • As tradition dictates, we participated in Easter festivities at the park with Kellie, daughter Makenna (5) and son Kyle (2). It was overcast and cool.

  • The kids had a successful egg hunt at park. Well, more like an egg "pick-up" -- no hunting involved.

  • When we returned home, the girls made a giant monster with an itty-bitty head.

  • Thanks to Kellie's Martha Stewart-like talents, we made easter bunny chocolate cupcakes with the kids. The floor looked as though someone spilled potting soil all over it.

  • Then we dyed Easter eggs and knocked over cup of yellow dye. The table is still stained blue and green.

  • The cat threw up.

  • While we were relaxing (i.e. cleaning up), Kellie and I heard water... gushing... from somewhere... and discovered the girls spraying each other (and the inside of the house through the open window) with the hose. Kellie braved the backyard to save Kyle who was crying behind a tree, only to have him squirt her with a squirt gun when she was close enough. Inspired, Lizzy then turned the hose on Kellie who ran screaming out of the yard and down the side of the house. Samantha, who hates to get wet and blames me for everything, kept yelling at me through the screen door, "It's all YOUR fault!" while I laughed and thought, For what? Giving birth to Elizabeth?

  • We sent the girls to their grandparents house for a sleep-over Saturday night where they planted the Magical Easter Seed. (Am I the only one who thinks that sounds perverted?)

  • Some friends came over to our house on Saturday and we played Jenga and Life. Michael learned it's not a good idea to hold a cat in your lap while playing Jenga. Not good at all.

  • Michael and I stayed up until 1am chanting and sacrificing carrots, hoping the Great Easter Bunny would leave some baskets for the girls. (Turns out the rabbit did a nice job. HE filled two baskets with small gifts and chocolates for the girls that HE apparently purchased at Target. Then HE took pictures of various locations around our house, printed the pictures, and hid clues at each of the locations so the girls could visit each place looking for clues to find their baskets. Kind of creepy, really, having him all around the house like that... and the pellets... Yech.)

  • Sunday morning the girls woke up early at their grandparents house and discovered that the Magical Easter Seed had grown into a Magical Easter Tree covered with Easter treats... at their grandparents house. (Did I mention that this occurred at their grandparents house?) Meanwhile...

  • Michael and I slept.

  • The grandparents brought the girls back home where they discovered their baskets and enjoyed an actual Easter Egg hunt in the backyard. There was much whining and kvetching, however -- You're helping her and not me!... She's getting more than me!... I wanted the pink one!... Where's my Excedrin!... and so on.

  • I retired to the relative bliss of my quiet kitchen to prepare traditional Easter fixings.

  • We all ate too much.

And there you have it. Happy Kid = Exhausted Parent.

Elizabeth was so happy and rejuvenated, in fact, that she knew -- knew -- she'd have a great week at school this week. She would listen to authority figures. She would receive "thumbs up" cards and "good job" balls each day. (Am I the only one here who thinks that sounds perverted?)

"I feel like a nicer person," she said to me before returning to school. I wasn't sure how to respond, because she already is a nice person. But I think I know what she meant. The kindergarten "grind" doesn't last forever. Monday morning, Elizabeth shot out of the gate like a beautiful palomino, ready to face the kindergarten day ahead. It was wonderful to see.

If only she hadn't stumbled somewhere before the finish line.

Comments

Rima said…
Oooo, a magical easter sleepover! That's good stuff. And I agree about the inverse relationship between kid fun and parental exhaustion. Also, did you ever notice that all the major holidays involve something really fun that necessitates getting up super early in the morning? It's a conspiracy.

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Got No Class, Got No Clue

Soccer, kung fu, or gymnastics? Art, piano, or dance? Fencing? I want to enroll Elizabeth in some sort of class, but it's just not going well. I'm not sure if the problem is me... OK, it is me . Take ME out of the equation and the "problem" magically disappears. Lizzy is just not interested in joining a team or taking a class, and Michael isn't keen to sign her up (and thus spend money) for a class she won't enjoy or may not participate in fully. He has a point. We enrolled her in soccer last year, and while most kids ran up and down the field kicking their balls, Lizzy stopped to examine a flower. When the kids stood in "ready position" (standing in line with one foot atop their soccer balls), she sat on her ball at the end of the line. While other kids weaved their balls around little orange traffic cones, Lizzy picked up a cone, turned it upside, placed her soccer ball on top of it, and pretended to lick it like an ice cream cone. That is Lizzy i