Skip to main content

Five-a-Day: Day 01

I've been very cynical, lately. Events over the last few months, personally and globally, have raised many questions and many of the answers have left a bitter taste in my mouth. Long story short? I've opened a door and entered reality. I won't go into the details (I'll save that for my private blog -- you know, the really interesting one where all the bodies are buried), but I realize I must actively strive for balance, to recognize the good that surrounds me daily. Because as dark as reality can be at times, it is not all dark, and I don't want to forget that.

I often read Journey Mama, and she recently decided to join the "Grace in Small Things" challenge to list 5 positive things each day. It can be anything from finishing a marathon (because that happens so often) to realizing your canker sore has finally healed (which happens way more frequently).

Here's what I have for Sunday:

1. Adas Polo leftovers. We ate dinner at Bandar on Saturday (a yummy Persian restaurant), and because we're so smart and filled ourselves on appetizers and salad, we had plenty of saffron-stained rice and chicken to take home. Last night I added raisins to the dish (to sweeten it a little more) and we fed our entire family on the leftovers. And (and!) I have enough for lunch today.

2. Lizzy demonstrated her super amazing strength on the playground by moving hand-over-hand across the entire set of monkey bars -- all the way across. It was like ten bars! (It was also funny to see the way her scapula jutted out of her skinny body... so strong and vulnerable at the same time.)

3. Michael gave me a shoulder and back rub while we sat on a picnic blanket during a birthday party for a friend's 4-year old. The sun was shining, the blanket was warm, and the girls were bouncing in an ocean-themed bounce house nearby.

4. Our bulbs have bloomed! We have a nice expanse of yellow flowers (I can't think of the name!) in the flower bed. They seem to die quickly when we cut them for the house, so we're letting them bloom away undisturbed in the yard. Last year I gave some of the bulbs to a friend, and hers are also blooming. It feels good to "spread the beauty."

5. My assignment for oil painting class this week was to paint a still life (2-3 veggies with a transparent object) using a palette knife. This can be very, very hard for someone with control issues, and when I began to paint the scene, much hyperventilating and shouting of strange words ensued. (Gah... no... yugga... aahh!) But (but!), I got through it and I'm so happy with my little painting. It's not perfect by any means, but I think (maybe) I've turned a tiny, little corner in my painting abilities. I tried some new techniques, I had faith (sooo important for me when painting), and I'm happy with the results.

Comments

ST said…
1. I did not have a sore throat this morning, even though I was out late last night and talked nonstop for a four-hour car ride to and from L.A.

2. One of my clients' events was the cover story of Night & Day today, and the remaining tickets are now sold out.

3. The girls had a great time playing at the playground on a beautiful afternoon today before we took Rory to ballet.

4. I managed to make a ballet chignon that didn't fall apart halfway through Rory's class.

5. It could be worse - someone could be arguing today in front of the California Supreme Court to invalidate my marriage.
Michele said…
Very small world. Deb and I were just talking about noting the positive things ... the things we are grateful for, etc. today via blog. It must be in the air. Here's to all of us for trying : )

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Blog Roll

Blah Blah Blog The Bloggess Blurbomat The Bookdiva Chicken Heads Knit Dating Trooper Dooce Ecce Poema Journey Mama Must Love Tots Pull Ups, Ba-Ba's, and Growing Pains Rimarama Sexagenarian in the City The Squawkery