Skip to main content

A Note from the Teacher

Michael: "Did you see the note?"

Me: "Note?"

Michael: "It's in her bookbag."

Me: mmm kaaay...

Mr. & Mrs. Cords and Fleece,

Lizzy did fine today. But I just want to let you know that she gave Payton a scare. While Payton was walking back to his rug spot, she put her arm out as if to trip him. She pulled her arm away just in time so he wouldn't fall. She apologized, but if you could talk to her that would help.

Thanks!!

Lizzy's Teacher

P.S. She's also been making noises at the rug. :(

I probably shouldn't have laughed out loud when I read this. Was it the thought of the bewildered and nearly-stumbling Payton that made me laugh? (I'm a sucker for well-executed slapstick and pratfalls -- even if it's a five-year old.) Was it the noises I imagined Lizzy making on the rug? Or was it the frowny face hand-drawn at the end of the note, depicting the exasperated teacher? Bad Lizzy. Bad.

Either way, laughing at a teacher's cry for help doesn't guarantee me a spot on the list of Top 100 Mature Parents. Thank goodness Lizzy was already in bed so I didn't have to explain my guffawing to her. I couldn't quite interpret Michael's reaction, though. Was he, too, trying to stifle a smile? Or did his look mean, It's not funny and clearly you don't understand the severity of the situation. Our child needs help. I'm still not sure.

All of this reminds me of a story Michael's mother used to share with me. One day she, too, received a note from Michael's teacher. I think he was in kindergarten or first grade. Along with general information about his academic progress (he's a genius, etc.), the teacher wrote about his questionable conduct at school which included running to the drinking fountain. Really, I'm surprised he's not in jail.

But wait... I remember something from my past, too -- a little red-haired boy named Kevin. We used to ride the bus together in fourth grade. The bus picked me up first and Oh how I enjoyed waiting for him! When he climbed the bus steps, I could not resist the urge to jut my foot out ever-so-slightly into the isle as he walked to his seat. He tripped every single time and flashed me a scathing look which sent me over the edge. The crazy part is, we were friends. We hung out together at lunchtime. (He was obsessed with the Bermuda Triangle -- obsessed -- and we talked about it endlessly.) So I wasn't a bully in general -- just to my friends. (Which may explain why they dumped me on the playground that one time...)

Where was I? Oh yes, Lizzy!

So you see, either she likes Payton a lot and admires his obsession with the occult, she's a sucker for slapstick, or she's destined for a job in the video and/or web industries. Who knows?

All I know for sure is... where she gets it.

Comments

Dating Trooper said…
Next time I walk by your cubicle I expect to be tripped by your skinny little leg. If not, I guess I have to be offended that you don't consider me a friend.

"Noises?" She needs to be more specific.
Melissa said…
Indeed we ARE friends, but I learned a hard lesson the day my friends dumped me in the school yard. Apparently, it's NOT OK to trip your friends or make them dance to Rock Around the Clock, endlessly... Very traumatic.

And yes! More specificity on the noises, please! (Although, I can imagine...)
Dawn said…
K. First. You're BACK! YAY! I missed you.

And the noises???
Rima said…
Hey, Melissa! I'm glad you're posting again!

P.S. I talk to my rug, like, all the time.

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Got No Class, Got No Clue

Soccer, kung fu, or gymnastics? Art, piano, or dance? Fencing? I want to enroll Elizabeth in some sort of class, but it's just not going well. I'm not sure if the problem is me... OK, it is me . Take ME out of the equation and the "problem" magically disappears. Lizzy is just not interested in joining a team or taking a class, and Michael isn't keen to sign her up (and thus spend money) for a class she won't enjoy or may not participate in fully. He has a point. We enrolled her in soccer last year, and while most kids ran up and down the field kicking their balls, Lizzy stopped to examine a flower. When the kids stood in "ready position" (standing in line with one foot atop their soccer balls), she sat on her ball at the end of the line. While other kids weaved their balls around little orange traffic cones, Lizzy picked up a cone, turned it upside, placed her soccer ball on top of it, and pretended to lick it like an ice cream cone. That is Lizzy i