Skip to main content

The Sixth Day

 
And on the 6th day, God created the Portable DVD Player...

For ages we traveled in darkness -- three long years; 90 minutes on good days, two hours or more when it stormed or the traffic was particularly foul. It was a dark time; a time of screeching hell-hounds, ghastly music, and arguments about who could sing Mary Had a Little Lamb the loudest. It was the Age of Commuting with Toddlers.

And then a miracle occurred.

One the day of the miracle, I fetched my bridegroom upon our small ebony steed whom we affectionately christened The Toyota Matrix. Then, to my great surprise, mine husband withdrew a small, metallic box from his rucksack and proceeded to affix thine unusual instrument betwixt our saddles. After much fussing about, he winkethed at me and bid our horse anon.

Onward we rode until we came upon the Dwelling of Small and Smelly children. From among the great screaming brood, we extracted two flaxen haired nymphs who lay claim upon us. With much hugging and tweaking of cheeks and noses, we secured the wee ones to their rear saddles upon the humble Matrix.

All was well with us until the eldest bid us to procure lollipops. Alas, we had no lollipops, and with great force did our maidens begin to wail, who, by this time were no mere maidens, but had transformed into some sort of ancient demon spawn. I tremble as I recount this tale and I am wont to admit that I was frightened. Yes, me, the mother my own offspring, frightened. Indeed I pray for my very soul.

Am I yet able to believe what mine eyes beheld next? Nay, nearly, for what followed remains difficult for my fragile mind to comprehend. With a wave of his hand, mine husband -- proving once again the depth of my love for him and his for me, as if some doubt persisted -- mine husband opened the lid from atop the metallic box and pressed upon a shiny knob, therein causing magical pictures to appear upon the lid -- moving pictures, pictures the maidens recognized of furry, brightly colored monsters that dwelled upon a lane christened after a small seed. Then, from a place I could not see, he withdrew two pairs of pink and black discs which he fastened upon their crowns. They struggled not and indeed rejoiced at their unexpected laurels.

As if this were not enough, as if my mind could handle yet another surprise, the miracle occurred, for suddenly and without a doubt, the maidens fell silent. They spoke not of “lollipops” and “poo-poo parties” and instead stared transfixed at the metallic lid of magical moving pictures.

My heart overflowed with a joy I could not contain. I looked upon mine husband with much love and then mounted the black steed and bid us homeward. During our journey, we listened to music, wonderful music. We listened to the Sonic Youth and the Cherry Valence. We reminisced of days of yore, of dancing and nights spent at wondrous music halls. We yelled not to “be quiet” or “stop kicking the saddle”. We were, indeed, happy and rode happily until we arrived at home and, alas, the magical spell was broken.

My heart grew heavy, lo I knew the miracle could not last forever. Curse this weak mortal soul! If only this memory could sustain me forever, yet this night I pray that perhaps I will be blessed to witness the miracle of the metallic box once more. If that is not my destiny, then forgive me, Oh Lord, if I dwell too long in my sweet memories. For they are all that remain.

And God smiled and said the Portable DVD Player is good.

(I’d like to thank Polaroid’s Portable DVD Player, Wikipedia, and my Thesaurus for the preceding tale.)
 

Comments

Rima said…
And I'd like to thank you for this thoroughly good old-fashioned (and hysterically) entertaining post! It was better than an episode of Sesame Street on DVD!
SurvivorGirlNet said…
OMG, I LOVED this post! As it happened, I was playing my Baroque when I read your post and it really brought your story to life. Don't you just love living the tech life?
ST said…
Portable DVD players are the BEST THING EVER INVENTED for parents. Period.
Anonymous said…
I've had two portable DVD players in my closet since the Christmas of '06. One for each kid.
Unopened. Unused.

You just reminded me.

Debbie
sandiegomomma.com
Christina said…
Ahhh, yes the portable DVD player gives hope to parents everywhere that they can survive parenthood!
Dawn said…
That's freakin' awesome. I love it. And we would be lost without the built in dvd player in our tahoe and we have a portable one for when we have fights in the house. Technology is great.
Anonymous said…
Hazzah! Hazzah! So well said.

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Got No Class, Got No Clue

Soccer, kung fu, or gymnastics? Art, piano, or dance? Fencing? I want to enroll Elizabeth in some sort of class, but it's just not going well. I'm not sure if the problem is me... OK, it is me . Take ME out of the equation and the "problem" magically disappears. Lizzy is just not interested in joining a team or taking a class, and Michael isn't keen to sign her up (and thus spend money) for a class she won't enjoy or may not participate in fully. He has a point. We enrolled her in soccer last year, and while most kids ran up and down the field kicking their balls, Lizzy stopped to examine a flower. When the kids stood in "ready position" (standing in line with one foot atop their soccer balls), she sat on her ball at the end of the line. While other kids weaved their balls around little orange traffic cones, Lizzy picked up a cone, turned it upside, placed her soccer ball on top of it, and pretended to lick it like an ice cream cone. That is Lizzy i