Skip to main content

Relationships and The Taco Salad

 
Relationships are like a Taco Salad. Well, sometimes -- at least for me.

Please, hear me out.

About a year ago, I went to a cafeteria on campus where I work. For the first time, I ordered a Taco Salad. The Taco Salad Assembler pieced together the elements of my salad (beans, rice, beef, lettuce, salsa verde, sour cream, guacamole) and handed it to me in a crispy, greasy taco bowl.

It was good. Really good. I even ate the bowl.

I went back the next week and ordered it again. And then again the following week. Then one day as the Taco Salad Assembler began to scoop out the beans, I said “Just a little beans, please. Thanks.” So he gave me a small scoop of beans.

The next time, I walked up to the counter and said, “Just a little beans and extra lettuce, please. Thanks.” I got fewer beans and extra lettuce.

Pretty soon, I walked up to the counter with a mental script in my head: “I’ll have just a few beans, lots of lettuce, extra sauce, not so much rice, I’d like the lettuce after the beans, rice and meat, but not before the sauces...” Etceteras. Etceteras. The Taco Salad Assembler stared at me with a spoon in one hand and a weary expression on his face. But he gave me everything I wanted. The Taco Salad was perfect. I thought I was happy.

But I wasn’t.

Now, ordering a taco salad is a stressful ordeal. I’m stressed when I see who’s behind the counter because I know that person is not as helpful as the other Assembler. I’m stressed when I see that two Assemblers are talking and I know they won’t be listening to me. I’m stressed that the Assembler’s concept of “extra lettuce” will differ from my own. I’m so stressed that by the time I get my salad, I’m barely able to digest it.

Welcome to my world.

Really, I just want to put on some gloves, step behind the counter, and make the damn thing myself. I want total and complete control. I want this salad to be the exact perfect expression of what I want and need in a crispy taco bowl.

And there's the rub.

Now, without truly meaning to, I’ve managed to prevent myself from enjoying my Taco Salad. Instead of creating a life Taco Salad, I’ve created a monster. There’s no spontaneity, no creativity, no variety. Because I have this idea of what I want, there’s little opportunity for the salad to express itself by, say, having no guacamole one day, or no rice. All I know is, if it’s not what I ordered, I’m irritated and grumpy.

I remember the good old days when I ordered a Taco Salad and I loved it for what it was. I was thrilled to even have a Taco Salad. Who cared if it had too many beans or too little rice some days? It was still an awesome salad. Sometimes it came with extra spicy sauce and I was like, wow, fantastic! And sometimes there wasn’t very much lettuce, but it still tasted great.

So you see, the problem with my Taco Salad isn’t with the Assemblers or even the salad, itself. It’s with me. I’ve gone all Dr. Frankenstein, trying to play God to my salad, and by trying to control it, I’ve eliminated its life spark. And that’s not good. Because we all know what happened to Dr. Frankenstein, don’t we?

So the next time I visit the cafeteria, I’m going to erase all scripts from my mind. I’m going to walk up to the counter and say, “I’ll have a Taco Salad.” And then I’m going to look away. It will be hard, but that’s what I’m going to do. I’m not going to tweak. Or control. Or micromanage. Because I know that no matter what happens behind the counter, I’m still going to get a Taco Salad. And it will be good. Damn good.

Sometimes it’s best just to close our eyes and have a little... faith.
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome post! It really made me think. There's something to be said for waiting to see what life 'dishes up'. Thanks for that reminder!
Dating Trooper said…
I'd like to think you wrote this just for me, but I know you and I have this lovely quality in common. Just change it from Mexican food to Chinese (stir fry perhaps?) and you have described my biggest fault as well. Well done (but too much lettuce):-) !
Dawn said…
Nice. Very nice. And faith, I could use a little faith.
Christina said…
"Hello, my name is Christina and I am a control freak, too!" Thanks for the post! I will try not to specify my orders in life so much - it has just the right amount of lettuce. :-)
Michele said…
I'm laughing so hard Melissa because I do the exact same thing with the Taco Salad in my company cafeteria. I order mine without meat, which really confuses one of the TS Assemblers and there are days that I really, really want to get a Taco Salad but don't because I see that Assember A is behind the counter and I just know it's going to be a hassle to get what I want without a look of "what, no meat, what in the world is wrong with you lady." Hmmm maybe it really is a lot like relationships : )
Anonymous said…
I wish not agree on it. I regard as nice post. Particularly the designation attracted me to read the intact story.
Anonymous said…
Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Got No Class, Got No Clue

Soccer, kung fu, or gymnastics? Art, piano, or dance? Fencing? I want to enroll Elizabeth in some sort of class, but it's just not going well. I'm not sure if the problem is me... OK, it is me . Take ME out of the equation and the "problem" magically disappears. Lizzy is just not interested in joining a team or taking a class, and Michael isn't keen to sign her up (and thus spend money) for a class she won't enjoy or may not participate in fully. He has a point. We enrolled her in soccer last year, and while most kids ran up and down the field kicking their balls, Lizzy stopped to examine a flower. When the kids stood in "ready position" (standing in line with one foot atop their soccer balls), she sat on her ball at the end of the line. While other kids weaved their balls around little orange traffic cones, Lizzy picked up a cone, turned it upside, placed her soccer ball on top of it, and pretended to lick it like an ice cream cone. That is Lizzy i