Skip to main content

Rainbows and Oranges

 
It’s morning.

“Lizzy, you have to get dressed now if you want your sticker today.”

“Did you do your homework? You have to bring something that starts with the letter ‘O’.”

“If you don’t get dressed, then you have to go to school in your pajamas and you won’t be allowed to play outside.”

“Leave Henry alone -- he’s under the table because he wants to be alone.”

“Did you find your Sharing Day item?”

“Lizzy, I’ll help you get dressed, now -- but you’re not getting a sticker.”

“Have you thought about the clues you need for Sharing Day?”

“No, you don’t get a sticker for getting dressed eventually -- you get a sticker for getting dressed without making a fuss, first.”

“Can you think of a better clue than ‘it’s orange’?”

“Don’t forget to brush your hair.”

“No, you can’t eat your Sharing Day item... or poke holes in it.”

“Where’s your jacket?”

“Lizzy! You forgot your Sharing Day item!”

Elizabeth is loaded into her car seat, holding her breakfast baggy in one hand and her Sharing Day item in the next. She eats Froot Loops and a toasted bagel as we drive to school and work. Her mom and dad listen to The Who.

On one side of the mountain the sun is shining brightly, but as we turn the corner, there are clouds. It begins to sprinkle.

“Hey, Lizzy -- do you see it?” Daddy points through the front window. “There’s a rainbow!”

Excitedly, she looks through the window. “There is?!” she exclaims. But as quickly as the rainbow appeared, it evaporates and is gone.

“I don’t see it!” she says, sadly.

“Oh no, it disappeared. Sorry sweetie.”

Dejected, Elizabeth sighs and nibbles her bagel. She removes the orange from a plastic Albertson’s bag and runs her fingers along its thick, bumpy skin. She admires its bright, happy color and thinks of digging into it with her fingers. She imagines how good the sweet tangy burst of juice would feel against her tongue.

Don’t eat that, Lizzy,” her mother warns.

Elizabeth sighs. “I won’t...” she says and let’s the orange rest on her lap.

Some mornings are just tough for a 4-year old.
 

Comments

Rima said…
Melissa! I'm so glad you're back!

Mornings are hard for everyone around here. I often have to sit back and remember what it was like to be a kid - the rules, the denial of instant gratification, the irrational (or rational) fears. It's tough. I wish Lizzy could have seen that rainbow.
Melissa said…
Thanks so much, Rima! It's good to be back!

Yes, I really wish she could have seen it, too -- poor sweetie. I looked back over our morning and thought "we are such annoying parents, sometimes!"
Michele said…
Neil was sick all last night and this morning so the daily routine of getting Zoe ready was left up to me. Since I rarely do it ... because I'm already at work ... I'm not all that good at it and apparently I don't know the rules too well ... as Zoe pointed out several times. Gotta love mornings.
Dating Trooper said…
Welcome back Melissa! Now I get to read your wonderful words to help pass the time. Much better than Oprah!

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Got No Class, Got No Clue

Soccer, kung fu, or gymnastics? Art, piano, or dance? Fencing? I want to enroll Elizabeth in some sort of class, but it's just not going well. I'm not sure if the problem is me... OK, it is me . Take ME out of the equation and the "problem" magically disappears. Lizzy is just not interested in joining a team or taking a class, and Michael isn't keen to sign her up (and thus spend money) for a class she won't enjoy or may not participate in fully. He has a point. We enrolled her in soccer last year, and while most kids ran up and down the field kicking their balls, Lizzy stopped to examine a flower. When the kids stood in "ready position" (standing in line with one foot atop their soccer balls), she sat on her ball at the end of the line. While other kids weaved their balls around little orange traffic cones, Lizzy picked up a cone, turned it upside, placed her soccer ball on top of it, and pretended to lick it like an ice cream cone. That is Lizzy i