Skip to main content

Sensitive Like Me


When will I learn -- you can’t trust a movie just because it’s preceded by Cinderella’s castle and a flirtatious little fairy?

Michael and I saw Shrek a while ago. Cute enough. Elizabeth’s teacher (Mr. Billy) dressed as Shrek for Halloween. So we didn’t think much of letting the girls watch it when it came on TV recently. As usual, we kept an eye out for any scenes of unexpected violence and checked the girls for their reaction.

Shrek cornered in a stadium? No problem.

Shrek pummeling his adversaries before the townspeople? Hunky Dorey

A giant, fire breathing dragon chasing Shrek and his donkey friend throughout a castle practically lighting their asses on fire? Just fine.

No, the trouble began when the Princess walked through the forest and exchanged vocalizations with a beautiful blue bird. The Princess sang, the bird whistled. The Princess sang louder and the bird followed suit. Finally, the Princess unleashed her loudest caterwaul and the bird... exploded. The Princess shielded herself against the spray of blue feathers, then, saddened, she looked at the bird’s nest and found three lonesome eggs.

Next we see her frying the newly orphaned eggs. Apparently she was practical as well as lovely.

Ha, ha! I thought as I looked over at Lizzy. That’s like Snow White when she sang to the animals, only this time they took it in the opposite direction and the bird exploded. Get it? Pretty funny, huh?

No. Not so funny. Her face crumpled. She fell apart.

“The beautiful Mommy bird broke!” she cried. “The Princess broke her. And then she killed her babies!”

Yep, she got it all right -- everything but the irony, that is. Damn. She ran to her room and cried on her pillow.

As I wiped away her tears, I flashed back to a time (OK, several times) when my Mom comforted me after I’d seen something in a movie or on TV. Nature documentaries were the absolute worst -- little animals stumbling through the desert, dying of thirst, then falling onto the ground exhausted; long sequences of happy gazelle families, hopping across the tundra, only to be torn apart by lions. Then one day it dawned on me.

“Mama! Why aren’t the people who make the movie saving the animals? They’re just letting them die!”

She tried. But nothing she said made me feel much better.

“It’s nature’s way...” “Nature’s way” sucks!

“They can’t interfere...” Bullshit! Of course they can!

Occasionally Mom went the extra mile and lied to me. “Honey, I’m sure after they stopped shooting, they ran to the baby Ostrich and gave it food and water.”

Well, at least that stopped me from hyperventilating, which of course is the goal of every good mother. But most moms want more than that. They want to annihilate their child’s pain. It’s not good enough to avoid it. If they can’t do either, mothers often try to reinvent it:

“Your boyfriend dumped you? Well he was a cheap stupid bastard anyway so you’re much better without him.”

“You didn’t win the talent contest? That’s because one of the judges was sleeping with a contestant and they’re both clearly idiots.”

Thank God for moms. But while we appreciate our mother’s efforts (and are often saved by them), deep down we know it’s not true. The guy was great. I have no prize-winning talent. And the bird is dead. It’s as simple as that.

Dads, however... I think they might be different. Not better, just different. I didn’t have a dad growing up, but if my husband is an example, then I imagine dads to be the realists of the parental unit.

“Didn’t make the baseball team? Well, you’d better practice more.”

“You guys broke up? Well, someone else will come along.”

“The bird died? Well, sometimes it’s a hard world for small things.

Listening to Lizzy cry over the blue bird, my first impulse was to lie and backpedal and pretend she misunderstood. “No, it’s just a coincidence -- those weren’t the eggs from the nest. She got them from the grocery store. And the mommy bird isn’t broken. Birds often... explode... only to come together again... with all new feathers (yea, that’s the ticket).”

But I knew it wouldn’t help. Because she’s sensitive like me. And seeing her tears, I was reminded of my tears, and how unfair life can be. And sometimes, how terribly cruel. So I hugged her and allowed her to cry. I’m sorry, sweety... You’re a wonderful little girl... I know, I know...

Michael encouraged me to tell her a story.

“A story? Of what?” I asked.

“How about something from childhood,” he suggested. OK, Mr. On-Your-Toes. That’s a great idea and all, but at this moment all I can think about is four dead birds and how heartless I am to have missed the inherent cruelty in Shrek movies.

Go on,” he prodded.

“I’m not good at that sort of thing,” I muttered under my breath.

He sighed and joined us next to Lizzy’s bed. We both looked at him with worried looks on our faces. What are we to do? we pleaded with our eyes. It’s not fair. We feel so helpless.

Michael looked back at the two of us, and he talked. Lizzy and I listened. Instead of justifying Disney movies or encouraging us to toughen up, Michael talked about our day. Just our day. He talked about eating at the Beef and Bun that afternoon. About Lizzy noticing that her lemonade was just water. About going to a new playground and running through a soccer field.

Pretty soon, we felt better. Our worries drifted away on his words. The sniffles ceased. The tears dried. The smiles returned. Yea, they had a really great slide, too! You guys ran really far... Did you like that dog?

I sat there. And smiled. And when he wiped the hair away from Lizzy's eyes, I blinked. And for a moment -- just a moment -- I had a daddy. A good daddy. And it was sooo heavenly.

Sometimes it's OK to be sensitive like me.




Previous Comments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Got No Class, Got No Clue

Soccer, kung fu, or gymnastics? Art, piano, or dance? Fencing? I want to enroll Elizabeth in some sort of class, but it's just not going well. I'm not sure if the problem is me... OK, it is me . Take ME out of the equation and the "problem" magically disappears. Lizzy is just not interested in joining a team or taking a class, and Michael isn't keen to sign her up (and thus spend money) for a class she won't enjoy or may not participate in fully. He has a point. We enrolled her in soccer last year, and while most kids ran up and down the field kicking their balls, Lizzy stopped to examine a flower. When the kids stood in "ready position" (standing in line with one foot atop their soccer balls), she sat on her ball at the end of the line. While other kids weaved their balls around little orange traffic cones, Lizzy picked up a cone, turned it upside, placed her soccer ball on top of it, and pretended to lick it like an ice cream cone. That is Lizzy i