Skip to main content

Finally, in a Rented, Red Mini Van


Shoot, I forgot to be thankful.

Not that I didn’t have a good time on Thanksgiving, but I simply forgot to sit down with lowered head and folded hands to actively give thanks. That’s probably because I was sitting at the kids’ table, and between fetching more milk, picking turkey bits off the floor, and reminding Lizzy not to pick her nose and Samantha not to say “poo-poo”, it just slipped my mind.

Then the rest of the evening, instead of being thankful, I found myself thinking boy, I’d like to have these floors, this kitchen, and that view. And worse, I found myself wondering what I’d sacrifice to have such a fine home. Would I wear a business suit and work in a corporate office? Wear thongs for a year? Sell dirty pictures of myself over the Internet? Not exactly in the spirit of Thanksgiving.

Michael’s cousin hosted Thanksgiving at her house this year in Chicago. She and her family live in a beautifully restored older home in a great neighborhood -- tree-lined streets, well-landscaped lawn -- the works. The temperature dropped the night before and stepping into their home was like walking into my favorite comforter, totally warm and inviting.

Let me put it this way, as you walk through the hallway to the kitchen, there is an old wooden table (I assume antique) against one wall. As my father-in-law said, “Traditionally, this is where the desserts are displayed.” Wow. You gotta love a home where there is a table designated for displaying desserts. Every time I walked through the hallway, I smelled freshly baked apples and cinnamon, warm cherries, and pumpkin.

Why are you hanging out in the hallway?

Oh, no reason.

Aside from the dessert table, what I really enjoyed (and miss) about Chicago is the abundance of family life; cousins and their children growing up together, sharing lives and stories. When Grandma and Grandpa moved to San Diego, our lives opened up. Extended family become a greater part of our daily/weekly lives. In a perfect world, our family life would extend even further and cousins, grandparents, aunts and uncles would all live closer together.

Once again, Elizabeth reconnected with her buddy and second cousin, Alec. He’s the youngest of three boys. Every year I expect them to shun their young and distant female relatives, to exclude them from their play or be bothered by their ill-timed questions.

“Did you just get killed?” Elizabeth asks.

“Not yet.”

“What’s that?” she asks, pointing at the hand-held video game Garret is holding and interrupting his view temporarily.

“That’s my health and this shows how many lives I’ve got,” he says patiently.

“Well, I’m working on becoming a super hero so I can get into the TV and save people. Yep. That’s what I’m doing.”

But each year the boys play hide and seek with the girls, sit with them at the table, throw all the towels down the laundry shoot with them (so the next morning people are left naked, wet, and wondering what the...?), and teach the girls how to jump off the couch. No wonder the girls don’t want to leave! These guys are just great, thoughtful kids. And of course they’re boys.

“What are you guys doing down here?” I ask, walking down the steps to the basement and boys’ rec. room.

“Well, first they hide Mickey Mouse,” Mom says with a weary, resolved look on her face. “Then, whoever finds it whacks the hell out of it.” As if to demonstrate, Alec finds Mickey and proceeds to whack the hell out of it against a support beam. Any second I expect to see it’s head fly off in front of Samantha who, by now, has more than one finger in her mouth. (You can often gauge Samantha’s stress level by how many fingers she has in her mouth. One translates to normal, mild stress. When she gets up to ten fingers in there, better get her the hell out.)

At the time, Alec was wearing a Mickey Mouse T-shirt, so essentially it was Mickey beating Mickey. Classic. Where's a camera when you need one?

----------------

Dinner left me with this thought: I wish I had two stomachs. Because one wasn’t enough. I was full after a single hearty helping, but my tongue and my memory wanted more. I probably ate too many appetizers beforehand -- crackers with diced liver and sautéed onions. Who knew I would like that and not be able to get enough?!

Then, after dinner, a helicopter crashed into the living room.

Oh, no. Silly me. It was just the awesome surround sound and Hi-Def TV in the living room. This was the real home-theater experience. Everyone jumped and some of the women gasped. Eventually, I found a nice warm spot on the couch and sank down to watch Mission Impossible III. With sound like that, I had a sudden urge to hear stuff blow up, helicopters crash into bridges, and people fly through windows. Dude!

What? The kids? It’s time to go? But I don’t wanna!

But we did. We hugged. We gathered our coats. We cheerily entered the cold night air. On our way home we drove down an idyllic little main street with a mom and pop ice cream shop and lighted wreaths on the lamp posts. The girls shouted “Christmas!” as they passed decorated homes. Elizabeth briefly fell asleep and upon awakening, her first word was “Alec!” At Papa’s house, she revived and wanted seconds of chocolate pudding pie. Samantha wanted stories before snuggling in the big double bed.

But still, after all that, I forgot to be thankful.

The next morning we packed our bags and headed to the airport. I worried, which is what I do upon heading to the airport. Will the girls behave well? Will I get a decent meal? Did I remember to pack my migraine medicine? The camera? My birth control pills? As we drove, Elizabeth prattled on about this project and that project. Then she said,

“I want to start my life over again.”

As a normal adult with a fine, but imperfect life, my first thought was, I’m right there with you, kid. Who among us has not at some point wished for a do-over? A chance to do the right things. Make better choices. Say what we really wanted to say. But then I was horrified. Already Lizzy is dissatisfied? Already there are things she would do differently?

“Honey, why do you want to start your life over again?” we asked, concerned.

“Because I want to live it over again just the same and do all the same things.”

“Wait. You want to start it over because... because you like it so much?

“Yes!” she said happily.

And then, on a clear cold day as I drove my family to the airport in a rented, red mini van, I finally remembered to be thankful.

I hope each of you had a Happy Thanksgiving!




Previous Comments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Score One for the Bad Guys

Apparently, Lizzy and Samantha have a soft spot in their hearts for the bad guys. After all, in their world the bad guys always get shot, beaten, or killed by super heroes, they always land in jail, and they’re never attractive. So when I heard strange phrases in hushed tones coming from the toy room the other day, phrases like, take off his clothes ... and hand me that bug ... and, put that on his vagina , I had to ask: What is going on in there?! After some debate between the two of them (n o, don’t tell mommy ... it’s OK, just don’t tell daddy ... and so on) they finally fessed up that they were playing a game with Barbies and other creatures wherein the bad guys win. Here’s how it works: In this game, the bad guys torture the good guys by making them take off all their clothes and then placing mind-controlling bugs on their vaginas . The bugs contain a virus that infects their hosts, thus enabling the bad guys to control the actions and behaviors of the good guys. Ergo, the b