Skip to main content

Google BadSense

 
Spank Girls, Ukraine Wives, and Sugar Daddies.

I’m so proud to be a member of Google AdSense.

If you’ve explored the Internet for more than five minutes, you’ve seen them. If you’re reading this on my blog (and not through a reader), then scroll down a little and you’ll see them on the right-hand side. Google ads are everywhere.

But don’t be fooled. They didn’t appear magically on their own -- I put them there. That’s because I thought, silly newbie that I am, that placing Google ads on my blog would make me rich -- or at least enable me to eat at a nice sushi restaurant once in a while. And now, after 5 months and 6,000 page views I’ve made a whopping (drum roll): $2.09.

Wahoo! I can get the extra large pack of chewing gum!

But it’s OK. Really. It was kind of silly of me to expect a huge paycheck for doing so little -- kind of like expecting to win a million dollars just because I bought a Pepsi and lottery ticket at the 7-11. It’s kind of comforting to know that lives are changed only through extraordinarily good luck or hard work. Ultimately, good luck is over-rated and hard work is good for us. Who'da thunk?

Google AdSense works primarily by keywords. My blog is scanned for certain words, and then ads appear that “match” those words. I don’t get to pick the ads, they’re “matched” automatically, which explains the predominance of cat-related and party-supply ads.

But there are other matches -- odd matches, disturbing matches, matches that make me wonder who the hell they think I am.

Here’s a few:

Hey, I never once spanked my girls or wrote about it, so I don’t know how Google come up with that. (Or perhaps Google can read my mind...)

OK, this is more like it. This ad must appear on every parenting blog on the planet.

I don’t know. For me, this falls under the headline of “Creating Problems”. Their web site touts lower energy costs with disposable undies (you know, since you won't be using the washer and dryer), but since I toss mine in with the rest of my clothes, I really don’t see how this saves energy. (I mean, my underwear’s not THAT big -- despite what my husband says). But I like the Maya Angelou quote posted in the Her section of their web site:

   “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it,
   change your attitude. Don’t complain.”

   - Maya Angelou, poet, educator

Shoot. I'd better stop complaining soon, so Maya won't be pissed at me...

But not before this:

Ah, sweet love. It does my heart good to know I’m bringing people together. And guys, once you hook up, please move to my neighborhood.

Oy.

If these are my Google matches, then Google would make for a very interesting dating service.

Hi, I’m Google. Since your profile indicates you’re “Asian” and have a “job”, I’m going to match you with this nice gentleman from West Virginia who says he likes getting “blow jobs” from Asian prostitutes. M’kay?

All of this leaves me with a strong desire to shout: I am NOT my Google Ads! Really! I’m just trying to make a few extra bucks and enjoy a nice meal once in a while. Good sushi is expensive!

Oh well. Perhaps it’s time to exchange my Google BadSense for some good sense.

Or not. I have to admit, it’s kind of fun seeing what each new entry will bring. What will happen if I write about Bush, or doggies, or sex? Wouldn’t we all like to know.

But hey -- I’m not suggesting you should actually click on anything. I mean, I’ve already got enough gum.




Previous Comments

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Blog Roll

Blah Blah Blog The Bloggess Blurbomat The Bookdiva Chicken Heads Knit Dating Trooper Dooce Ecce Poema Journey Mama Must Love Tots Pull Ups, Ba-Ba's, and Growing Pains Rimarama Sexagenarian in the City The Squawkery