Skip to main content

Because Parents are Partiers, Too.


Thanks, Marc and Kel, for throwing me a party!

No, wait... it wasn’t just a party -- it was a birthday party. And it wasn’t for me, it was for their kids. Crazy! Why did I think it was for me?

Oh, yes -- because Marc and Kellie know how to throw a toddler’s birthday party with their parents in mind! And what a difference it makes.

Usually I dread these little parties. Mostly, they involve parents watching their kids do stuff -- play with toys, go down mini slides, break things. But I knew this party would be different the moment I opened the cooler for a drink. Inside were cold cans of beer that said, Parents -- this party is for you, too. So said the freshly grilled hot dogs, brats, and pasta salad.

Then, when I learned I was allowed inside the bounce house, well... let the good times roll!

Brainstorm Alert: Why not invent a gym for grown-ups with bounce-houses, giant slides and jungle gyms? I haven’t exercised so much or so well in a very long time. Bouncing is hard work, but who notices when you’re laughing so hard? A couple of times I collapsed inside the sweaty-smelling bubbledome out of sheer exhaustion.

I was having such a good time that I had to actively remind myself to watch the girls -- that is, when I wasn’t bouncing with them, or flying kites with them, or chasing them.

Now... I have a question about water balloons: Are they simply a fun way to get wet, or an excuse for an impromptu wet t-shirt contest? My advice to anyone who’s listening: unless you want to get soaked, drop the balloon early in the game.

Elizabeth and I paired up for the toss, but she dropped the balloon early. Somehow I got blamed and she’s still irritated with me and has made me promise to buy balloons so we can try again at home. Samantha and Michael paired up and did pretty well. Then, somehow, Michael and I were throwing the balloon to each other. How did that happen?

Unfortunately, I have a competitive streak. I can’t throw a game, even if it’s in my best interest. I have to keep catching the balloon, softening my catches so the balloon doesn’t break, and keep trying until finally, a single overhanded toss from Michael causes me to reach up so that the balloon bursts in my hands in slow motion as it’s aimed for my head. I become soaked from head to waist and Michael is smiling and giving me the googly eyes. (He, too, has made me promise to buy balloons so we can try again at home...)

Between getting wet and throwing myself undignified down the bounce-house slide, we ate and drank. Which reminds me -- Lizzy invented chips and dip at the party. I know, you probably think that was invented already, but it wasn’t. Lizzy located the chips early on and probably ate half a huge bag all by herself. She saw the containers of dip. In a sudden burst of inspiration, she thrust a large wavy chip into a container of ranch. She tasted it. Wow! She ran over to me to show me her discovery. “Look what I did! Taste it -- it’s good!” I obliged and agreed and she spent the rest of the party dunking chips. She only stopped briefly to eat a large piece of chocolate cake before continuing again.

The only activity in which I was not allowed to participate was the pinata-whacking. I would have enjoyed it, too, although I would have enjoyed it more if the pinata looked like something I would actually want to hit (insert favorite political villain, here). Why do pinatas have to be so darned cute? What is it about us that says, “Hey, that’s the cute pink character from the Backyardigans -- let’s beat it!”

Samantha decided she was in no hurry to hit anything and declined to participate. Lizzy gave it some impressive whacks, but quickly lost interest when she realized she could be eating chips while no one was looking. I think a few of us were momentarily disturbed when the pinata’s body continued to hang onto its head by a thin string of muscle -- I mean, cardboard -- long after it should have fallen. We all just wanted the thing to die, to put it out of its misery so we could extract candy from it. But it kept hanging on. Finally the body fell to the ground. The candy didn’t burst out like we hoped it would -- little hands had to extract much of it from the belly of the beast.

Anyone want a lollipop?

The party continued and we had more fun. Samantha eventually fell asleep in Daddy’s arms while Lizzy and I took full advantage of the bounce-house. Finally, after three short hours, we had to leave. It was time to take down the tent, take one last trip to the bathroom, and gently place the sleeping Samantha into the back of our sweltering black car.

After all, we had another party to attend afterwards...

(Happy Birthday Makenna and Kyle!... and Jillian!)




Previous Comments

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Got No Class, Got No Clue

Soccer, kung fu, or gymnastics? Art, piano, or dance? Fencing? I want to enroll Elizabeth in some sort of class, but it's just not going well. I'm not sure if the problem is me... OK, it is me . Take ME out of the equation and the "problem" magically disappears. Lizzy is just not interested in joining a team or taking a class, and Michael isn't keen to sign her up (and thus spend money) for a class she won't enjoy or may not participate in fully. He has a point. We enrolled her in soccer last year, and while most kids ran up and down the field kicking their balls, Lizzy stopped to examine a flower. When the kids stood in "ready position" (standing in line with one foot atop their soccer balls), she sat on her ball at the end of the line. While other kids weaved their balls around little orange traffic cones, Lizzy picked up a cone, turned it upside, placed her soccer ball on top of it, and pretended to lick it like an ice cream cone. That is Lizzy i