Skip to main content

Mommy’s Black Dress


On weekend mornings, the girls comes into our room, snuggle for a while, and Elizabeth whispers into my ear, “I want Froot Loops in a bowl -- no milk in a bowl -- just milk in a cup to drink. And a wanna watch TV. OK?” Then she hugs me and climbs down, knowing I’ll soon follow. If Samantha is there, she says, “I want Loop-Loops and I wanna watch TV, too!” Then she also climbs down. If I linger under the covers, Samantha turns back to implore, “Come on, Mommy. Put on your black dress.”

The "black dress" is really my dark blue robe which hangs on the corner of our bed.

Samantha knows that I start each day by first donning my “black dress”. Before I go to the bathroom, before I brush my teeth, before I get Loop-Loops and milk, I put on my back dress. Occasionally she fetches it for me, and the message is clear: Get up, now!

It’s so much edgier to think of it as my back dress than my old blue robe. When I get up, I don’t put on some tired old thing I’ve had for years. Instead, I put on my black dress. I’m not just Mommy -- I am cool, hip, black-dress-wearing Mommy.

Prior to Samantha, this was not a hip robe. It falls below my knees, cinches at the waste and serves utilitarian purposes only. This is not something I wear prior to sex if I want Michael to participate wholeheartedly. It doesn’t take a visual leap of the imagination to see me wearing it in my golden years, gray-haired, hunched over, and mumbling for oatmeal.

I’ve had my black dress since the Chicago days in the early 90’s. I found it at Marshall Fields (now Macy’s). It is the only purchase I allowed myself from Fields, aside from chocolate truffles at Christmas. It’s difficult to find dark colors in women’s robes, so when I saw it, I bought it. The material is worn and pilled, but I love it.

After so many years, my black dress and I have a history together. On Sunday mornings we solved problems on the computer. We made pancakes and watched the McGlaughlin Group. We took out the garbage. On special days we opened presents and most days we petted cats. In the evenings, we checked locks and doors. Sometimes we got up to write angry journal entries, scribble shopping lists, or sleep on the couch after an argument. We shivered during Chicago snow storms, and we sat outside in the San Diego sunshine.

My favorite moments in my black dress, however, are the quiet ones in the middle of the night.

I hear a tiny and distant voice. My ears -- a mother’s ears, now -- respond instantly, quickening my heart, bringing oxygen to my lungs, and motivating my limbs. Off go the covers and on goes my black dress. Down the hall I shuffle to the room with a voice that is not so tiny and not so distant. In the dark I see a small figure flinching and waving in her crib. I pick up Samantha, cradle her in my arms, and lower us into the padded rocking chair. With her warm skull resting inside my elbow, I push aside one half of my robe. Her head turns and her mouth seeks the source of silence and food. She is quiet and we rock back and forth in peace. Once she is satiated and sleepy, I return Samantha to the crib, close her door as quietly as humanly possible, and go back to bed; replacing my black dress on the footboard until next time.

Those quiet moments are over now, but perhaps Samantha recognizes something familiar about my black dress -- something intimate and mommy-like. It is my morning uniform. It keeps me warm in the evening. It cradles her cheek. It waits for me on the bed. My black dress has been spit upon, hurled upon, and peed upon. I wouldn’t trade it for all the silk robes in the world.

I don't think Samantha would, either.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Got No Class, Got No Clue

Soccer, kung fu, or gymnastics? Art, piano, or dance? Fencing? I want to enroll Elizabeth in some sort of class, but it's just not going well. I'm not sure if the problem is me... OK, it is me . Take ME out of the equation and the "problem" magically disappears. Lizzy is just not interested in joining a team or taking a class, and Michael isn't keen to sign her up (and thus spend money) for a class she won't enjoy or may not participate in fully. He has a point. We enrolled her in soccer last year, and while most kids ran up and down the field kicking their balls, Lizzy stopped to examine a flower. When the kids stood in "ready position" (standing in line with one foot atop their soccer balls), she sat on her ball at the end of the line. While other kids weaved their balls around little orange traffic cones, Lizzy picked up a cone, turned it upside, placed her soccer ball on top of it, and pretended to lick it like an ice cream cone. That is Lizzy i