Skip to main content

Breast Petals: Not My Husband’s Favorite Flower


More than disliking my small boobs, I hate wearing bras.

I'm sure many ample-bosomed, Victoria-Secret-wearing women all over the world Tsk when I say this. Wearing bras is what mature women do. It’s a rite of passage we anxiously await, like getting our first period. But while bras have a purpose and bring about certain pleasures, they’re a hell of a nuisance in our day-to-day lives. And for some of us, bra-wearing is a pointless endeavor.

I remember when I first got my boobs, how excited I was. I looked down as I changed into my nightgown and saw It. Yes, “it” -- because if you didn’t know already, boobs don’t magically appear fully-formed and simultaneously -- at least not for me. I had to coax mine out, one at at time, like nervous little squirrels. They didn’t descend all at once on my body like a bomb as it did with some of my friends. I drank milk, I exercised, and I pleaded with them. Slowly my shy girls peeked out, little by little. Come on, girls. Where are you? Come on out. You can do it.

I coaxed and coaxed until I finally gave up in my mid thirties. See, I had high hopes for pregnancy. It’s rumored that some women get to keep their luscious pregnancy breasts forever. Against scientific evidence to the contrary, I maintained high hopes. But expecting your boobs to stick around once you stop nursing is a little like expecting a perm to curl your hair for the rest of your life. It just ain’t gonna happen. (And if you know otherwise, keep it to yourself. Really, I'm begging you.)

My pregnancy boobs arrived with grace and dignity. When I looked in the mirror, at first I thought I looked more womanly because of the slight bulge at my waist. But the baby-doll shirts I sometimes wore started to heave and curve a little at the top. Just as I thought my load-bearing thighs and swelling face would make me beyond repulsive, my husband found me sexier than ever. These wonder orbs gave my Wonder Bras a purpose and I looked damned good in them.

But while they were great to look at, they were painful to touch; one of life’s bitter ironies. Since we couldn’t play with them as much as we wanted to, I kept them in a display case, so to speak, of tight sweaters and v-neck shirts. Ah, we had fun. Shopping, parties, dancing. Although a tad aloof, these sassy gals knew how to have a good time.

If I could have nursed longer, I would have. Elizabeth and Samantha lost interest in me after 7 months of happy sipping. I pleaded with them. No, please, have some more. Look... yum, yum. I never felt so rejected as each of them turned their heads away seeking outside interests. They wanted to be “independent”; to drink from a bottle on their own; to eat solid foods. The message was clear. We don’t need mommy anymore. Each day, my life-giving, fun-seeking balloons slowly deflated. Damn.

Since then, I’ve pretty much lost interest in my boobs. They betrayed me. My husband tends to them daily and they respond with a wink and a smile. But it seemed nothing could cure their ongoing depression. And strapping a bra around them... what an insult. My pregnancy boobs filled my bras like a joyful party, full of laughter, that eventually spills out onto the lawn. My post-pregnancy boobs echo through my bras like a tenant in an abandoned warehouse. Hello? Anybody in there... there... there?

I put my bras in a far corner of my dresser and exchanged them for camisoles and tank tops. I never liked bras, anyway; tight, awful things digging into my shoulders and ribs. Who needs them? Certainly not me! But summers are still hot, and doubling-up on shirts is not comfortable, either.

My husband was encouraging in a way that wasn’t very helpful. Set them free! he said as a heavenly light cascaded upon him, inspired by a sudden burst of idealism. Why wear bras or tank tops? What’s wrong with your nipples? Bras, what are they good for? Absolutely nothin’, say it again!

Yes, very liberating -- but not gonna happen. Sometime during my adult life, I privatized my nipples. In my twenties it never occurred to me to conceal them. Did I mature during my pregnancy? Become a prude? Who knows. All I know is, when I go to work, I want these babies suppressed.

Another petite-breasted friend of mine and I were exchanging mammary woes one day, and we invented the concept of a device that just covers your nipples; something like a bandaid, but smoother that wouldn’t show through our clothes. Like many great ideas, this one floated out into the Universe and was germinated by Ann Deal, founder of Fashion Forms.

My friend was the first to discover them. Remember that idea we had? I found them! Wanna look? She showed me and we both tee-heed. This was our idea executed perfectly! Gel Petals, as they’re called, are small flower-shaped gels that affix to your breasts. They don’t fall off, you can’t see them under your clothes, and you can’t feel them when you’re wearing them. You can wear your thinnest t-shirt and it looks smooth. Suddenly my girls were happy and motivated. They wanted to go shopping again! Fabulous!

But, alas, with all great fortune, there is a down side.

How can I describe my husband’s face when he first encountered the petals? Surprised? Shocked and disturbed? Horrified? Yes, horrified. Turns out, men hate breast Petals with a fiery passion.

Here’s why. Imagine you’re a man slipping your hand under a woman’s shirt; expecting to feel a woman’s precocious little parts. Instead, your hand goes up... and up... practically to her neck without feeling that pleasant little nub. What the hell happened?!

He’s threatened to hide my Petals. He's begged me to throw them out. I don’t blame him. For a man, it’s like touching a mannequin. It’s unexpected and inhuman for a woman not to have nipples. Let me put it this way: What if you put your hands down your husband’s pants and didn’t find his, uh... package? It’s a little like that.

It’s also weird for Elizabeth and Samantha. A couple of times they noticed my “strange boobs” while watching me undress. "What’s that? What are you wearing?" they ask. Good heavens. What do I tell them? I didn't want to tell them that nipples are "bad" and that when they get to a certain size limit you have to pretend you don't have them so as to not offend anyone. (Which is what we're really talking about here, right? Once again, my husband's ideals echo through me...)

"Well, they’re like boobie-warmers." (Yea, that’s it.) "They keep my boobs warm." (Talk to me later about lying to my children...)

All this means is that I have to be careful. I will slip on my Petals while Michael is in the shower, and I’ll take them off as soon as I get home. I’ll buy them in secret during my lunch breaks, and I won’t leave them out on the table. Out-of-sight, out-of-mind. No harm done.

Because there’s one thing I know for sure: I’m not giving up my Petals, man. No way. Right now, my girls are happy. And after all these years, they deserve to be. Say it again!




Previous Comments
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Got No Class, Got No Clue

Soccer, kung fu, or gymnastics? Art, piano, or dance? Fencing? I want to enroll Elizabeth in some sort of class, but it's just not going well. I'm not sure if the problem is me... OK, it is me . Take ME out of the equation and the "problem" magically disappears. Lizzy is just not interested in joining a team or taking a class, and Michael isn't keen to sign her up (and thus spend money) for a class she won't enjoy or may not participate in fully. He has a point. We enrolled her in soccer last year, and while most kids ran up and down the field kicking their balls, Lizzy stopped to examine a flower. When the kids stood in "ready position" (standing in line with one foot atop their soccer balls), she sat on her ball at the end of the line. While other kids weaved their balls around little orange traffic cones, Lizzy picked up a cone, turned it upside, placed her soccer ball on top of it, and pretended to lick it like an ice cream cone. That is Lizzy i