Skip to main content

Beware: There is no karma for parents.


I hate it when I do something mean as a parent. The meanness doesn't have to be grand and horrible and of the "no-more-wire-hangers-ever" variety. It just has to be mean enough to register in my mind that I shouldn't have done it. And the worst part is that karmic relief doesn't exist for parents. Receiving bad karma doesn't eliminate the regret or self-loathing.

The other night I put the girls to bed, and my oldest resisted. I told her she couldn’t keep playing this game (this is a nightly ritual) and that she had to stay in bed. Of course she started to follow me out, so I raced to the door. She was right on my heals as I got to the door. My thoughts were focused, you stay...mommy free. I weasled out the door and slammed it behind me. Right in her little face. There was no contact, but the look of pain on her face will be imprinted on my brain forever.

It didn't take long for me to feel like shit, and in case I didn't feel like shit, she came out to remind me. Sobbing, she looked right into my eyes and told me how I'd hurt her feelings. Again and again she told me. “You hurt my feelings! You hurt my feelings!” I picked her up and rocked her in the rocking chair and (looking right into her eyes) I told her I was really, really, sorry.

For about a minute I fought the urge to qualify my apology with the reasons I had for being mean in the first place. But my guilt caused me to cave. If I could convince her I was justified, maybe she'd see the logic of it all, feel better, and maybe even apologize to me. Then it would be like it never happened--like I'd never hurt her feelings at all and that it was all a big misunderstanding.

"I'm really tired tonight, sweety, and I read to you for 30 minutes before bedtime. It's already really late and my throat is sore." (Perhaps she'd sympathize with my physical ailments and succumb to my pathetic attempt to make her feel guilty.) She didn't look convinced, so I tried some honesty.

"Sometimes you guys wear me out. You've been very demanding tonight...asking me to get things for you constantly, and I just needed a break." She still wasn't convinced and I still felt horrible.

Finally, with tears and snot running down her face, she looked at the nice black Gap Perfect T I was wearing, and wiped her entire face on the front of it. Then she started to giggle and I knew that her pain was almost over. (I've learned, by the way, that allowing a sobbing child to smear snot on you really helps to cheer them up.)

After laughing and kissing and making up, I finally put her to bed an hour past her normal bedtime. I still felt bad, though, and I imagined all the horrible things that could happen to a child and how lucky I am to have her. That's one of the things that parents fear most. That something terrible will happen and we'll remember all things times we were mean to them, or chose to spend time away from them.

I was still sad when I went to bed, so it's no surprise that I didn't sleep well and had nightmares. When I awoke the next morning, I thought, "OK, this is the karma for being so mean. I had really horrible nightmares, and this is my punishment." But then I realized that I didn't feel any better. I’d been mean. I’d had bad dreams. I got my karmic slap, but I still felt bad.

And with some dawning horror, that’s when I realized that no parent can expect karmic relief for being a jerk. Overall, I’ve been a pretty good Mom. Sure I could use some improvement, and there are certainly moments that I regret. But I hug my girls many times a day. I tell them I love them everyday and often. And I think about being a parent and how I can improve. So, you know, “good for me”.

But what about parents who really don’t have their shit together? Parents whose personal issues prohibit them from being effective parents nearly 100% of the time? Parents who are jerks (or worse) on a regular basis? I can’t imagine the kind of hell they go through. I bet they’ve already learned that Karma will never ever help them.

Heaviness. God help us all.

Well. Before I lose myself in an overwhelming pit of despair, there is hope--I’m an eternal optimist--but it doesn’t come easy. At best, all I (or any parent) can do is hope to forgive myself someday. Even the forgiveness of our little ones doesn’t do it. In fact, when my little girls tell me it’s OK, I feel even worse. Their forgiveness somehow reflects and magnifies my inadequacies, and my pain intensifies.

I know this personal forgiveness thing works. I’ve done it before. After all, I did forgive myself for accidentally biting my little girl’s finger, right? (Didn’t I? Hmm...still feeling like crap about it. Shit.)

(Note to self: Be a perfect parent. Stop being mean. Hug them more.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About This Blog

Right off the top, it's a goofy name. I was looking for a new name for my blog, and then one morning I had the following exchange with my husband. We were taking our daughter to preschool and found ourselves following a well-dressed mom wearing a cute little skirt and high heels. I tilted my head to one side like a puppy noticing something strange for the first time. Michael also tilted his head, but was thinking of something else. "How come you don't wear skirts and high heels to work?" he asked. "She must be freezing. It doesn't seem practical." "She doesn't seem to mind." "I suppose not." Two heads tilt to the other side. "Oh well, I guess I'm more of a cords and fleece kind of girl." Two heads straighten. And there you have it -- a blog title based entirely on what I like to wear in the wintertime. Talk about impractical. The former title was Domestic Irritation. I liked that title a lot -- i

Adult Beginning Gymnastics Revealed

The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Well...yes and no . Sometimes what we fear turns out to be OK -- in fact, it turns out to be pretty damned fun. The squadron of peppy cheerleaders turns out to be an extremely quiet guy named Ron and a nice girl named Alison who looks like Hayley Mills (but doesn't know who Hayley Mills is). The gymnastics instructor turns out to be a nice young girl woman who is easy to talk to. And I turn out to be considerably less decrepit than originally feared. Of the three students (!), I'm definitely the oldest by more than a decade. However, I was surprised (and thrilled) to see how evenly matched we were. Where one student is flexible, the other is strong. What I lack in youth, I make up for in pointy toes and perky presentation. While I'm certainly not as fit as the other students, I am not miles behind in skill. (Maybe just a few blocks away.) The first class was primarily an assessment of our current capabilities, so we c

Got No Class, Got No Clue

Soccer, kung fu, or gymnastics? Art, piano, or dance? Fencing? I want to enroll Elizabeth in some sort of class, but it's just not going well. I'm not sure if the problem is me... OK, it is me . Take ME out of the equation and the "problem" magically disappears. Lizzy is just not interested in joining a team or taking a class, and Michael isn't keen to sign her up (and thus spend money) for a class she won't enjoy or may not participate in fully. He has a point. We enrolled her in soccer last year, and while most kids ran up and down the field kicking their balls, Lizzy stopped to examine a flower. When the kids stood in "ready position" (standing in line with one foot atop their soccer balls), she sat on her ball at the end of the line. While other kids weaved their balls around little orange traffic cones, Lizzy picked up a cone, turned it upside, placed her soccer ball on top of it, and pretended to lick it like an ice cream cone. That is Lizzy i